The majority of Mamas out there tend to place us last on our list to take care of ourselves. I think it is by nature that we want to mother everyone else and just forget about ourselves most of the time. This year we made a resolution to take more care of ourselves, remember.
Each week, I try to carve out time for “Mama Spa Time”! What is an DIY Spa Day? Well, you may not know what it is if you never do these at home. A DIY Spa Day is a “Do it yourself” Spa Day. This means, you prepare your own Spa Day at home. Instead of going to a fancy Spa that can get very expensive, you create a relaxing DIY Spa at Home. You will create this in the convenience of your own home, it is inexpensive and you can take as long as you want.
After being married for twenty-three years and four children later, it is somewhat hard to have alone time. I am so use to having someone by my side most of the day every day. While I feel blessed to have my husband and four children, all Mamas need some alone time. I don’t get much of this while having a full time job and a big family as it can get pretty difficult. However, now that my three oldest are teenagers, I am able to make more time for myself.
The following steps are my tips to unwind after a long, stressful day. This is my therapy for a special DIY Home Spa event!
To do Prior:
-Choose a time/day where it will be quiet
-Tell Hubby/Kids: “Do not Disturb”
-Place clean sheets on your bed
-Gather Spa Supplies
What you will need:
- bath towel
- hair tie
- shower cap
- bottled water (important for you to stay hydrated with a hot bath)
Here is a step-to-step guide on how to create a DIY Spa Day at Home:
1. Prepare your Ambiance: Set the mood with some candles, low dim lights and relaxing music. Turn off your phone (unless to play your music!)
2. Make Spa Water: Flavored H2O feels like such a luxury, but it couldn’t be easier to make. Try a combo like strawberry, lemon, mint, cucumber. Just cut a handful of slices of each fruit, add them to a pitcher of water and refrigerate for a few hours to infuse. Drink up and stay hydrated.
3. Robe/Pajamas: Slip into something more comfortable and put your slippers on. Set out your favorite towel, get your favorite book and bottled water or a cup of warm tea.
4. Nails: Trim and file nails from your hand and feet. If necessary, use pumice stone on feet to remove the rough spots.
5. Hair Mask: Place a hair mask all over hair. Afterwards, place a shower cap on and get ready for your bath.
6. Face Mask: Place your favorite mask all over face before you sit in tub.
7. Detox Bath: Fill your tub with hot water and close the door of your restroom. Add detox bath salts. Be sure to stay hydrated and relax and soak for 15-20 minutes so your body can sweat, detox and absorb all of the nutrients. Rinse off with a cool shower. Make sure you drink plenty of water before, during and after your bath to aid in the detoxification process.
8. Take deep breaths and place things in perspective. Read a book or take a nap.
9. Rinse off hair/face and body. Towel dry. Add lotion to face and body.
SHOP MY PICKS:
Relax and sweet dreams!