Organizing the freezer is not so fun, especially when you need to defrost it first. This is what I did this past weekend.
The following are the steps I took to clean my freezer:
1. First, empty everything out from the freezer.
2. Next, was to defrost it the entire freezer.
3. Then I wiped down all the drawers and baskets with a wash cloth and mild soap.
4. Dispose of all old food and leftovers.
5. I then organized the bottom deep freezer with some red InterDesign plastic tote baskets that I purchased from Target. I love how they brighten up my freezer and are smart space savers, too.
I organized in the following ways:
- Top left basket: meat that I will defrost the next day
- Top right basket: ice cube trays/ice and whip cream
- Bottom left freezer: all the meats
- Bottom right freezer: all the vegetables
The only foods I like to freeze from my leftovers are beans, rice and pastas. My husband is not a big fan of leftovers, so this is pretty much the only kind of foods I freeze. I simply place them in a freezer bag and date with a marker.
In addition, I normally don’t buy frozen fruit. I prefer having fresh fruit on hand. However, I do like to freeze bananas when I can, so I can add to our smoothies.