Summer days are the happiest days! Our family started a new family tradition two years ago when I painted a chalkboard wall in our home. A bucket list is a number of experiences or achievements that a person hopes to have or accomplish during their lifetime.
Each year, our family creates our own “Summer Bucket List.” Just like a regular bucket list, our summer list contains all the things we want to accomplish from the beginning of summer right to the very end. It is fun and satisfying to check mark items off of our family list.
If you have never made a bucket list for you and your family, it is time! Here are a few steps in creating your next “Summer Bucket List”.
- Have you and your family decide where to keep this Family Bucket List. Obviously, ours is written on our wall with chalk. If you don’t have a chalkboard wall or chalkboard, type it up and keep on your fridge. This way, all your family will see it and plan accordingly.
- Gather your family and brainstorm ideas! Start early. Have each family member come up with their wish this summer. They can include very simple things like going to library, go to zoo, have a picnic, etc. You can even go wild and crazy! It is fun to see what your kids and husband want to achieve each summer. The list can be as long as you want it to be. Make a rough draft and edit as much as necessary.
- Write the final list! Have your kids help you if it is on a chalkboard. You can even type it up and hang on a frame or on the refrigerator. You can even write it down with a sharpie on a poster board. You can add pictures, and or stickers. Use your imagination and be creative.
- Keep your list and expose it! When the summer ends, you can add to your album or scrapbook. It is awesome to see what creative lists your family has through each passing year. These moments are unforgettable!
Start creating new memories with your loved ones!
Here is one of my favorite items on our list last year: “walking on the beach, at sunset, in Turks & Caicos.”
Here are some more ideas to help you get started today:
- Star Gaze
- Make Smores
- Go to the Beach
- Take Pictures under water
- Eat an exotic fruit
- Pick sunflowers
- Go hiking
- Build a Sandcastle
- play with sidewalk chalk
- Go to library
- Make iced coffee
- Road Trip
- Make Cookies
- Create a Lemonade Stand
- Feed the Ducks
- Go to Park
- Go on Family Walks
- Lay on the grass and take pictures of the clouds
- PJ Days
- Learn to Sew
- Go to Baseball Game
- Have Fun
- Be happy!
I hope this inspires you to create a fun summer bucket list for your family. Having it on a chalkboard where you can see everyday will make it easier to remind you to go out and have fun this summer! Most of these things don’t have to cost money, you just have to go out and enjoy yourself and your family. Remember that the most important things in life are priceless.