July is here and that means vacation time for many of us! On my previous post I discussed my “Road Trip Essentials”. Now, I will show you healthy habits I try and maintain while on vacation. It is not easy, but it is not impossible.
For any mother with children, you all know it is not easy traveling with kids on a road trip or airplane. You must make it work and do what it takes to make them feel comfortable, remain healthy and happy.
Here are my top tips for staying healthy while traveling:
- Travel with heathy foods – Yesterday, I made a Costco run and bought lots of fruit, healthy nuts and healthy drinks to take on the road. Instead of stopping at fast food restaurants, I have packed healthy wheat bread sandwiches and breakfast burritos for all of us.
- Get enough 7-8 hours sleep at least – Being on vacation is my favorite as no alarm clock is needed. Have your family rest and get plenty of sleep daily. No schedules and no appointments are ideal.
- Stay Active & Move – We try to do some hiking as a family while we are on vacation. Living in North Texas, there are not many hiking options for us and our daily schedules do not allow it. We take full advantage of doing this during family vacations. As a family, walk, move and exercise to remain active and healthy. My husband and kids love to swim so we do this daily while on vacation. For me, family beach walks are my ultimate favorite!
- Choose healthy food – While on vacation, eating out is almost always necessary. We try to choose a hotel that has a fridge and stove so I can cook at least one time a day. Have your family choose healthy food options as much as possible. Fruits, veggies, yogurt, chopped greens and healthy meats are the best option.
- Stay Hydrated – On the road, I take several smart waters for my family. When at your vacation location, avoid sugary and caffeinated drinks as much as possible. Carry water bottles as much as possible. When available, drink healthy fruit smoothies and natural coconut water if available in your vacation place.
- Last but not least: BE HAPPY! There are so many things we take for granted and during the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, we tend to forget. During vacation, we reflect on many things to be grateful for. We should never forget how blessed we are. Always. Be. Happy.
Hope you all have a fun and safe vacation!