What are fat bombs? Fat bombs are small treats made from a combination of healthy fats such as coconut oil, nuts and seeds. I call it my healthy chocolate candy! These are originally designed for a Ketogenic diet, which involves a high fat, low-carb diet that induces ketosis: a state of starvation where the body begins to burn fat instead of carbohydrates. There are endless possibilities for making your own version of these small snacks. These treats are high in fat and low in carbs!
I didn’t know what these were until I started looking for recipes to make myself some healthy candy as I am always craving sweets. Unfortunately, I can’t afford to gain weight so I searched for a healthy type of chocolate candy that would satisfy me, taste super good and not have so much sugar. I stumbled across several fat bomb recipes and was intrigued at what these were.
While I follow no particular diet, I just try to not over-induldge in unhealthy carbs. These bombs sounded simple and healthy so I decided to try to make these. I was so impressed as the first time I made them as they tasted so good. Its only been two weeks since trying them and I have now made these four times. Even hubby and kids like them.
You don’t have to be on a diet to watch what you eat. I try to eat healthy, yet don’t deprive myself on all foods I love. I try to cook at home as much as possible and buy organic meat and vegetables when I can. Several of the ingredients for these fat bombs, I already had in my baking cabinet!
These fat bombs can be created in any shape or form. They can be small balls, muffin and/or candy shapes. They are basically a concentrated, delicious bite of healthy fat. I personally like to use candy molds that I bought both at Walmart and Amazon. You can even use muffin pans with liners. I found this cute bunny mold to make mine in time for Easter.
As mentioned above, these bombs contain lots of fat which is liquid at room temperature. Eating healthy fats is very important to lower inflammation in your body. Therefore, most ketogenic fat bombs contain coconut oil or coconut butter as an ingredient. Please keep these fat bombs in refrigerator. This is also useful from a recipe perspective as coconut oil solidifies when refrigerated in which fat bombs will be less messy to snack on. These will last one to two weeks in fridge. I like to place them in ziplock snack size bags after they become solid.
Here is my own version of fat bombs and now I don’t have to buy candy from the store any more! These bombs can be created to be savory or sweet. Of course, my version is all sweet!! You can replace or add any ingredients you like. You can add any type of nuts and/or seeds. Be creative.
The three main ingredients to building your own fat bombs are the following:
- Healthy Fats (coconut oil, coconut butter, almond butter, etc)
- Flavouring (cacoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon, etc)
- Texture (nuts such as pecans, almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, and/or sugar free shredded coconut )
The three simple steps are:
- Mix all ingredients (if healthy fat is solid for example like coconut oil, heat to melt then pour with all other ingredients)
- Pour mixture in molds, muffin pans or form in balls.
- Refrigerate or freeze for several hours until solid.
Hope you enjoy!
- 2 scoops of chocolate protein powder (I use doTerra Trim Shake Protein)
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 2 scoops of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (optional)
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of Stevia or Splenda
- 3 tablespoons of nut butter (I use Sun Butter)
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Gather a mixing bowl and all above-noted ingredients.
- In a saucepan, melt coconut oil.
- Add all ingredients to bowl then add melted coconut oil.
- Mix all together.
- Pour mixture in candy mold or muffin pan.
- Place in fridge for several hours until become solid.
Shop the post (click on items below):