Holidays are just around the corner! Who doesn’t get excited about Thanksgiving and Christmas? You don’t have to spend more money to be prepared and organized for the upcoming holidays.
Many people get excited when shopping at stores and all the holiday lights and decorations are shining everywhere. Especially me! The advantage to de-cluttering your home before hand, is that you see everything you have on hand and in storage. This includes holiday decorations, serving ware and supplies! Why purchase more, when you can use what you have? Don’t make the mistake of overspending every holiday season. Be ready for the holidays without spending everything.
Please keep in mind that the holidays are to make memories with your loved ones. There is no better way than to spend quality time with your family surrounded by lots of love and homemade meals!
Here is a checklist for you to be prepared to have a stress-free holiday this year! Once you check off all these items, you will be more organized, happier and ready to party!
These are easy and affordable ideas to help you be organized:
Stress Free Holidays Checklist
1 month before:
- De-clutter House (see my “Declutter your Home” post: De-clutter-Your Home in 7-days )
- Decide on Theme
- Plan Guest List
- Access Storage for all Inventory: Décor and Dishes (cooking and serving ware)
- Send out invite (by mail, electronically or verbally)
2-3 weeks before:
- Plan Menu
- Decorate Home with holiday décor you have on hand
- Stock up on items you don’t have (for example: all serving ware, tablecloths and leftover containers etc.)
- Make a collection of favorite Holiday Songs for guest entertainment
1-2 weeks before:
- Make grocery list
- Study upcoming sales and stock up on necessities
- Wash and iron table linens
- Prepare your serving dishes on table with needed utensils (this will help you get an idea what you are lacking)
- Set up dessert bar for all desserts and sweet treats
- Ask guests if they will be bringing dishes and make a list to avoid double entrees
- Clean House
1-3 days before:
- Start preparing sweet treats for your guests (or buy holiday treats)
- Prepare food ahead of time (defrost and marinate meats, dice veggies/fruits, etc)
- Be sure there are enough tableware and chairs for all guests
- Set table for adults
- Set up a table for all the children
- Set up Bar Cart with all refreshments
- Buy flowers
Day of Party:
- Set flowers throughout home
- Light candles and turn on lamps
- Accept help from friends & family
- Play Holiday Music
- Dress up and Relax!