What is self-care? Something provided for you and by you. This is achieved by identifying what you need and taking steps to achieve them. Self-care is self-respect.
Unfortunately, many of us Mamas don’t even know what this is! Why? We are so busy taking care of our kiddos, hubby, home and everything else, that we leave ourselves last or not even bother to ever take care of ourselves! It is time to care of ourselves now! Not tomorrow or next week, NOW! YOU are valuable, do not forget it!
One of my new year’s resolutions is to love more. I will achieve this by starting with myself. Don’t think that all these years I have been implementing this. I didn’t know what self-care was until recently. I have been too busy trying to be the perfect wife and mother all these years that I didn’t take time to take care of myself. Sadly, I came to realize this later in life, but better late than never. Right now, three of my children are teenagers and our baby is nine years old. I decided now is the best time to start and not stop! I realize this is not an easy task but it must be done.
I have listed ways to begin our self-care immediately and are the following:
- Unplug – Disconnect yourself from your phone, social media, etc. for at least one hour daily.
- Prayer/Meditation – An absolute must and I cannot live without this.
- Take a relaxing bath – I love taking a detox bath and reading my favorite book.
- Make a happy music playlist – Love to hear music as it gets me in a great mood.
- Take a walk outside – Lay down on the grass and watch the clouds.
- Eat healthy – Make one small change in what you are eating each week. It might include drinking an extra glass of water or eating more vegetables.
- Diffuse essential oils – Add a few drops of essential oils in a diffuser and this can deliver therapeutic aromatherapy throughout one or more rooms while clearing the air. This also creates a pleasant, fragrant and beneficial aroma throughout your home.
- Sleep – Research shows we need at least 7-9 hours of sleep every night. Taking a nap during the day is like snacking! Take a small nap to recharge.
- Learn to say “NO” – Many times we try and act like Superwoman and want everything done and want it done right. You can not do it all.
- De-clutter a space – Donate at least three items of what you do not use or need.
- Fill in your Planner with days for YOURSELF – Schedule a pedicure, manicure and/or facial. Go have a girls night out with your friends, go walk in your favorite store, watch your favorite show, etc.
There is so much to do that you can enjoy. It is difficult to do these all; however, it is not impossible. Do not neglect yourself. Don’t place your self-care on the back burner. Love yourself and you will have a new outcome on life.
Do me a favor and start today, please do at least one thing for yourself EACH day. Be selfish! Do one thing everyday that makes you happy. You deserve it, Mama!
“If I am not good to myself, how can I expect anyone else to be good to me.” – Maya Angelou
Here is a free download to print out and start caring for yourself today. No excuses. Write down everything you want to do for YOU, and no one else. It is not selfish to do what is best for you. Make yourself a priority in your life. Print now: self-care Print out several copies and share with your friends.
“Then one day she just decided she would live for herself, and not for others, and nobody had the power to make her unhappy ever again.” – Mark Anthony
Stop, smell and enjoy the flowers!
Please share what you love doing for yourself. I love to get more ideas and implement them myself.