Packing for your next vacation is no easy task. It involves critical thinking on what to take and how to organize your clothes to fit in your suitcase. Hope my list helps you get your vacation off to a great start!
Here are some easy steps I take to organize my clothes and my husband’s in one suitcase:
1. First make sure you have a good, durable suitcase for you and husband and another one for your children, if you have kids.
2. I personally invested in packing cubes by Eagle Creek that I purchased at The Container Store. Here you can fit so many clothes and they will easily fit in your suitcase. If you don’t want to make this purchase, you can roll your clothes in bundles inside your luggage. If you choose the Eagle Creek cubes like I do, I organize my clothes by type. For example dresses in one, tops in another, husband’s shorts in another, husband’s tops, etc. I also have one for belts. These are awesome! Eagle Creek Cubes
3. Take only what you need and what will take less space.
4. Next, determine how you will be traveling. If you travel by car or by airplane, you will know if you need to limit your luggage based upon your means of transportation. I personally prefer the rolling luggage.
5. Look at the forecast of where you will be vacationing. This will give you an idea of what attire to pack.
6. Lay out all the clothes you have chosen to take, on your bed or dresser. Review all your selection and determine how long you will be staying so you will know what day you will be wearing with what shoes, accessories, etc. Don’t duplicate items like 3 black tops, etc.
8. Aside from luggage, have a carry on bag. Here is where I place all my important belongings such as our passports, vacation binder, iPad, camera, etc. I also bought mine at Container Store and usually carry in my car for essential items that I need. Reisenthel Bag
9. Place all your toiletries in a toiletry bag. For example your skincare, shampoo/conditioner, toothbrush, toothpaste, medication, etc. If you don’t have one, place them in a plastic bag to prevent leaks to spill to your clothes. I place my toiletry bag inside my carry bag. I just found this awesome Calvin Klein toiletry bag in Ross for a great price!
10. Start Packing! Pack shoes on border of suitcase first, then heavy clothes next, and all light clothes on top.
DON’T FORGET: nightgowns, swimsuits, sarongs, chargers for phone & camera, sunglasses, sunscreen, wipes, sanitizer, folding laundry bag, towels, travel sewing kit, travel first aid kit, medication and vitamins.
Consider taking a small clothesline. When you are going somewhere that has a beach or pool, you will have wet bathing suits and towels everywhere. You can easily hang this clothesline in your hotel restroom and dry line your clothes!
Also, if you are taking a road trip, don’t forget your small cooler with water, drinks and snacks.